Move over classic late-to-work excuses, there are some new kids in town.
Gone are the days of traffic, snow covered road, broken alarm clock, child care, and taking-the-cat-to-the-vet reasons for being tardy. Employees are getting creative.
A new survey from CareerBuilder is revealing some of the most outrageous and bizarre excuses employees tell their bosses when they get to work late.
- I thought of quitting today, but then decided not to, so I came in late.
- My hair caught on fire from my blow dryer.
- I was detained by Homeland Security.
- I had to chase my cows back into the field.
- A black bear entered my carport and decided to take a nap on the hood of my car.
- My lizard had to have emergency surgery in the morning and died during surgery. I had to mourn while deciding whether to have the lizard disposed of by the vet or bring the lizard corpse with me to work.
- There was fresh powder on the hill. I had to go skiing.
- There was a store grand opening and I wanted to get the opening day sales.
- I had to finish watching “My Name is Earl.”
- All of my clothes were stolen.
- I was confused by the time change and unsure if it was “spring forward” or “fall back.”
- A Vaseline truck overturned on the highway and cars were slipping left and right.
More than 2,500 managers and 3,200 workers across the country, in a variety of industries, were part of the survey, according to CareerBuilder.
The survey also says 25% of workers (1 in 4) admitted they get to work late at least once a month.